WEST WINDSOR, N.J. – The Bryant University men's tennis team continued its streak of dominance as it claimed its sixth-straight Northeast Conference Men's Tennis Championship with a 4-0 win over Wagner on Saturday afternoon.
Bryant's streak of six-straight titles is the longest in NEC history and the longest postseason streak of any team in Bryant DI program history.
Coach Gendron's Comments
"The best final I have ever been a part of. Wagner played great. Our team was focused and determined. Grit won us six. I could not be prouder of our guys."
How it Happened
- Bryant opened by claiming the doubles point with wins at 1 and 2. Seniors Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) won at 1, while Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) clinched the point at 2.
- In singles play, Bryant clinched the match with victories at 1, 2 and 5.
- Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) won the first singles match at 5, 6-1, 6-2.
- Kuhar then made it 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 1.
- Reigning NEC Rookie of the Year Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) then clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 2.
Notes and Notables
- Saturday was Bryant's seventh-straight appearance in the NEC title match.
- Bryant has now won each of the last six NEC Championships, becoming the second time in NEC history to win six straight.
- Dong has now clinched each of the last two title matches.
- Kuhar finished his career 4-1 in the NEC Tournament. He enters the NCAA Championships with 89 career victories.
- Dong, Kuhar and Ortiz-Garcia were all named to the All-Tournament Team, while Dong was named the NEC Tournament MVP.
- Bryant will now await its seeding in the 2019 NCAA Men's Tennis Championships. The selection show will air Monday, April 29 at 6:00 p.m. on NCAA.com.
No. 1 – Kuhar (BRY) def. Lashkul (WAG), 6-2, 6-1
No. 2 – Dong (BRY) def. Walters (WAG), 6-4, 6-2
No. 3 – Jakubowski (BRY) vs. Ohrer (WAG), 2-6, 2-4, unfinished
No. 4 – Argentini (BRY) vs. Gonzalez (WAG), 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
No. 5 – Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Poland (WAG), 6-2, 6-2
No. 6 – M. Plutt (BRY) vs. Kneppelhout (WAG), 2-6, 6-1, unfinished
No. 1 – Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Lashkul/Sandy (WAG), 6-4
No. 2 – Argentini/Massam (BRY) def. Knepplehout/Poland (WAG), 6-1
No. 3 – Ortiz-Garcia/Pertile (BRY) vs. Gonzalez/Walters (WAG), 5-4
Bryant will await its seeding for the 2019 NCAA Men's Tennis Championships when the field is chosen on Monday, April 29.