SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team picked up a pair of victories on Wednesday, defeating Merrimack and MIT.
Bryant earned a 6-1 victory over Merrimack at home before earning a hard-fought 4-3 victory over MIT in Cambridge.
Coach Gendron's Comments
"Today was a great day to be a Bulldog! We witnessed our upperclassmen welcome Merrimack to the NEC with a well-fought victory. As for our underclassmen, to go in and play an exceptional MIT team and come away with a victory thanks to come-from-behind wins from Andrew Forchetti, Phil Belmatch, Andrew Pregel and Andrew Corrado, is a great way to start our weekend of battles."
How it Happened (Merrimack)
- Bryant once again swept the three doubles matches, earning convincing 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 victories.
- In singles, the Black and Gold won at every position except No. 2.
- Brothers Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.) and Scott Plutt (Weston, Fla.) were both victorious on Wednesday as Mike won at No. 3 and Scott won at No. 6.
How it Happened (MIT)
- MIT jumped out quickly, winning all three doubles matches to take an early lead.
- The Engineers then took a commanding 3-0 lead with straight-set victories at No. 1 and No. 2.
- Bryant, however, rallied to win each of the final four singles matches to defeat the Engineers.
- Andrew Pregel (Cincinnati, Ohio) lost his first set but bounced back to win 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 at No. 3.
- Fellow freshman Andrew Forchetti (Orange, Conn.) split his first two sets before earning a 6-1 victory in the third.
- At No. 5, Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.) won in straight sets, 6-1, 7-6.
- Andrew Corrado (East Islip, N.Y.) then closed out the comeback, winning the second set 6-3 and then earning a 10-6 victory in the super breaker.
No. 1 – Kuhar (BRY) def. Davydov (MC), 6-0, 6-2
No. 2 – Garcia (MC) def. Dong (BRY), 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
No. 3 – M. Plutt (BRY) def. Fedorov (MC), 6-0, 6-3
No. 4 – Argentini (BRY) def. Rodriguez (MC), 6-2, 6-0
No. 5 – Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Koch (MC), 6-1, 6-2
No. 6 – S. Plutt (BRY) def. Singer (MC), 6-1, 6-1
No. 1 – Kuhar/Dong (BRY) def. Davydov/Koch (MC), 6-3
No. 2 – Pertile/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Fedorov/Garcia (MC), 6-2
No. 3 – S. Plutt/M. Plutt (BRY) def. Clontz/Rodriguez (MC), 6-2
No. 1 – Barr (MIT) def. Schou (BRY), 7-6, 6-0
No. 2 – Cauneac (MIT) def. Massam (BRY), 6-2, 6-3
No. 3 – Pregel (BRY) def. Ko (MIT), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
No. 4 – Forchetti (BRY) def. Go (MIT), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
No. 5 – Belmatch (BRY) def. Deng (MIT), 6-1, 7-6 (5-3)
No. 6 – Corrado (BRY) def. La Soya (MIT), 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
No. 1 – Cauneac/Barr (MIT) def. Massam/Quiros (BRY), 6-2
No. 2 – Go/Zhao (MIT) def. Pregel/Schou (BRY), 6-3
No. 3 – Ko/Ampudia (MIT) def. Corrado/Belmatch (BRY), 6-3
The Bulldogs will have a busy weekend as they travel to Ohio for matches against Xavier, Wright State and Dayton before hosting East Carolina on Sunday.