SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team opened 2019 with an impressive performance against Tulsa and Texas Tech on Friday.
Bryant fell to the Hurricane, 7-0, and the Red Raiders, 5-2. The Hurricane have made 18 NCAA Tournament appearances and Texas Tech is receiving votes in the most recent ITA national rankings.
Bryant 0, Tulsa 7
Bryant 2, Texas Tech 5
Records: Bryant (1-2), Tulsa (1-0), Texas Tech (1-0)
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Coach Gendron's Comments
"The hope of this trip was to set the tone for the season. The goal was to compete and fight through multiple matches. We clearly set the tone as being a team that continues to battle and fight no matter who the opponent is. Our conditioning looked very solid as we competed for more than six hours. Both Tulsa and Texas Tech competed hard and played with character. We are grateful to have made this trip. We are now setting our sights on another top 50 opponent in Dartmouth. They are typically one of the strong teams in the region and play with great energy and consistency."
How it Happened (Tulsa – Doubles)
- Bryant grabbed a victory at No. 1 doubles as seniors Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) defeated Jarod Hing and Joshua Goodger, 6-4.
- Tulsa took the point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3.
How it Happened (Tulsa – Singles)
- Bryant was able to force four of the six singles matches to a decisive third set.
- Kuhar won his second set 6-2 before falling in three.
- Sophomore Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) also posted a second-set victory, 6-2.
- Junior Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) earned a 6-4 victory in the second set before falling 10-6 in the third.
- Classmate Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) played the most exciting set of the day as he won the second set with a 7-6 (12-10) victory, staving off set point on several occasions.
How it Happened (Texas Tech – Doubles)
- Bryant jumped all over the Red Raiders in the second match of the day, clinching the doubles points with victories at No. 1 and No. 2.
- Kuhar and Jakubowski won 6-4 and Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.) and Ortiz-Garcia won 6-3.
How it Happened (Texas Tech – Singles)
- Kuhar picked up Bryant's second point of the match with a straight-set victory over Tommy Mylnikov, 6-3, 6-0.
- Ortiz-Garcia was magnificent again, taking No. 70 Bjorn Thomson to a tiebreak in the first set before falling in straight sets.
Results – Tulsa
No. 1 – No. 55 Kilani (Tulsa) def. No. 81 Kuhar (BRY), 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
No. 2 – Pearson (Tulsa) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 7-5, 6-2
No. 3 – Kamdem (Tulsa) def. Dong (BRY), 7-6, 2-6, 6-1
No. 4 – Hampe (Tulsa) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
No. 5 – Siddall (Tulsa) def. M. Plutt (BRY), 6-3, 6-4
No. 6 – Thelwall-Jones (Tulsa) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-3, 6-7 (12-10), 10-3
No. 1 – Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Hing/Goodger (Tulsa), 6-4
No. 2 – Kamdem/Thelwall-Jones (Tulsa) def. Argentini/M. Plutt (BRY), 6-2
No. 3 – Pearson/Siddall (Tulsa) def. Pertile/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-1
Results – Texas Tech
No. 1 – No. 81 Kuhar (BRY) def. Mylnikov (TT), 6-3, 6-0
No. 2 – Valiev (TT) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 6-4, 6-3
No. 3 – Kapshuk (TT) def. Dong (BRY), 6-3, 7-5
No. 4 – No. 70 Thomson (TT) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 7-6 (6-1), 6-4
No. 5 – Battista (TT) def. Pertile (BRY), 6-1, 6-4
No. 6 – Ribero (TT) def. S. Plutt (BRY), 7-6 (6-1), 6-1
No. 1 – Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Mylnikov/Thomson (TT), 6-4
No. 2 – M. Plutt/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Ribero/Wynn (TT), 6-3
No. 3 – Battista/Cobb (TT) vs. Pertile/Dong (BRY), 4-4 (unfinished)
The Bulldogs will travel to Dartmouth on Sunday, Jan. 20.