PHILADELPHIA – The Bryant University men's lacrosse team had its four-game winning streak snapped Saturday with a 14-7 loss to Saint Joseph's at Sweeney Field.
Saint Joseph's 14, Bryant 7
Records: Bryant (6-6, 4-1 NEC), Saint Joseph's (7-3, 4-0 NEC)
Location: Sweeney Field (Philadelphia, Pa.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"It's hard to fathom for us that we could be outplayed in every facet of the game like that, other than the face-off. Give Saint Joe's credit. I know their head coach well – he's been one of my guys for a very long time. His team was ready to play and mine wasn't. Hats off to him; credit goes to them."
"We've got a lot of season left. We have Hobart Saturday at home on Senior Day. We're still in it to win it … It's nice to be in it, but we had an incredible chance to host [the NEC Tournament] and we just didn't fight back today.
- Bryant cut the deficit to 4-3 on O'Rourke's goal with 13:24 to go in the second quarter before Saint Joseph's scored the final four goals of the first half and first two of the second to take a 10-3 advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Joseph's opened the scoring two minutes in before Ziegler tied the game 1-1 with 11:44 to go.
- The Hawks would retake the lead 13 seconds later and push the lead to 3-1 before Ziegler's goal with 3:57 remaining in the opening quarter brought the Bulldogs within 3-2. Saint Joseph's would score in the final seconds of the quarter to lead 4-2 after 15 minutes.
- O'Rourke cut it to a one-goal game with 13:24 to go in the half, but Saint Joseph's scored the next four goals to take an 8-3 lead into the locker room.
- Saint Joseph's scored the first two goals out of the half to push its advantage to 10-3 before junior Matt Heldberg (Kings Park, N.Y.) ended the Bryant scoring drought with 10:39 to go in the third quarter. The Hawks would score the next two to gain their largest lead of the day at 12-4.
- Bryant scored the final two goals of the third quarter, as tallies from senior Tom Kennedy (Farmingdale, N.Y.) and O'Rourke made it a 12-6 game through three quarters.
- Sophomore Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) brought the Bulldogs within five at 12-7 with 13:38 to play, but Saint Joseph's would score the final two goals of the contest in the closing minutes for the final 14-7 margin.
- Ziegler had two goals on the afternoon, tying him for 10th in program history in goals (82) and points (127).
- O'Rourke's two goals gave him 25 for his freshman campaign.
- Graduate student Kenny Massa (Huntington, N.Y.) was 17-of-24 at the face-off X with 11 ground balls.
- Senior Jake Chandler (Charlotte, N.C.) notched a career-high three caused turnovers.
- Junior Jack Horan (San Rafael, Calif.) tallied his first career assist and a career-high two caused turnovers.
- Sophomore Joe Peroni (Lakeville, Mass.) recorded a career-high two caused turnovers.
- Bryant outshot Saint Joseph's, 31-26.
- The Bulldogs held a 26-21 advantage in ground balls.
- Saint Joseph's improves to 4-4 against Bryant.
- The defeat was the first for Bryant since March 10 against Drexel.
- The seven goals matched a season-low.
Bryant returns home to host Hobart Saturday at 2 p.m. for Senior Day. Tickets are available by clicking HERE, while the game can be seen on NEC Front Row.